Monday, September 29, 2014

Ngubani Ongasithanda Zelayo (Who would like to pray?)‏




“Occasionally in life there are those moments of unutterable fulfillment which cannot be completely explained by those symbols called words. Their meanings can only be articulated by the inaudible language of the heart." - Martin Luther King Jr.

That quote basically sums up how I feel right now. I almost always am at a loss of words when I am preparing to write to everyone and report on how my mission experience is going. All I can say is it is wonderful. I love what I am doing.

I have been studying charity as of late and charity is something that we just had our district meeting on. I have had some real powerful insights that I wanted to share with all of you. I said something while in district meeting, well the spirit said something through me, that has really stuck with me. So many times in life people ask, "If God really loves me, why is life so hard?" Or "If God is there why doesn't he bless me with what I want/need?" I had the thought that, "Blessings are conditional upon obedience, God's love isn't." That really sums it up. God will love us whether we are good or evil, but he can only bless us as we have obeyed his commandments. He never stops loving us. He is desperately waiting for us to just do what he asks so he can immediately bless us. Over and over we just go more into debt to him for his kindness and love.

I have come to the conclusion that love is an emotion, but charity is that emotion in action. We show love through living a charitable life. 1 Cor 13 is a killer chapter on charity. Same with Moroni 7:45-48, It really puts into perspective how important charity/love is in this gospel. In Romans 13:8-10 tells how if we live the commandments to Love God and love our neighbor will help us fulfill every other commandment.

This week was a great one. We didn't have a ton of success while trying to do missionary work, but we have had some great lessons with a few people. We always end up closing our lessons with, "Who would like to pray?". This lady named Monica told us that she hates when we ask that question, because when we ask that question it means that it's time for us to leave. When we told her that Elder Chapman was going to leave she started crying and telling us how much he has helped her. It was a special moment. He really felt like he had done some great things while being here, and that is the greatest feeling that a missionary can have!

I am really sad that I am going to loose my companion Elder Chapman! He is probably my favorite companion that I have had. We have worked so hard together and have done so much good. I love him a lot. I came to follow-up train him, but I feel like I have learned just as much if not more from him. 

I am going to get my new companion on Wednesday! His name is Elder Dryer. I am assuming he is from Utah, but I won't know until Wednesday when I pick him up! I am really excited to train him and do my best to help set a good tone for him on his mission. I am sure we will love each other lots and do some good here in Panorama.

I love you all! Thanks for the support and prayers, I can feel it! 

Send me some letters! It's been dry the past couple weeks!

Elder Mitchell Ryan Thayne
South Africa Cape Town Mission
PO Box 181, Observatory
Cape Town, 7935
Republic of South Africa

Love you all! Chews The Write.

Elder Mitchell Ryan Thayne

Enjoy some of the crazy pictures. Elder Chapman and I watched the sunset in Cape Town. It was amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment