Monday, May 26, 2014

You Only Serve Once!

Moloweni!

This week has been pretty much one of the best. We were able to see EVERYONE that we have been wanting to for the past several weeks. We were actually able to see Siphinathi. Now, for those of you who haven't been following the journey of Elder Thayne super closely, Siphinathi was the first baptism I had in SA. Three weeks after baptism he got some friends that really became a bad influence on him and he stopped coming to church and started dodging our appointments with him. It eventually got to the point that he would run away and hide from us when we would see him or try to meet with him. It truly was sad. It was just a testimony that those who aren't living the way they know they should are uncomfortable in the presence of people who remind them of what they should be doing. 
Elder Ramat and I went to the Nake family's home and started teaching Mlondolozi. He said that Siphinathi was hiding in the back room. I asked him to go fetch him so I could teach them one last time and say goodbye. Siphinathi came out pretty sheepishly, but I just ignored the fact that he was hiding from us and treated him real well. We talked and testified about the power of repentance and how to matter what has happened we can ALWAYS come back. Satan likes to convince us that after we have gone astray and left Him that Christ would never want us back. THAT IS A LIE. I told him that if he wants to have the joy he felt in his life once again that he could have it. He would just need to turn back to God and leave behind whatever is holding him back. He told us he really wants to come back to church and wants to change.. So I am praying that desire lasts with him. Sadly, he didn't come to church even when he said he would. Dahh well, I know he will come back someday.
So on Sunday we had another mass baptism. This time five people we baptized. On our side we had Lamla, Phelisa and Abigale. Then Elder Mchunu and Elder Maciver had Nkosinathi and Wochumisa. Most of the ward was able to attend because it was right after church, so that was nice to have a lot of support for them in making this great decision.
When I was saying the words to baptize Phelisa, her grip on my wrist slowly got tighter and tighter and tighter. I put her under the water and she got up just so excited and so shocked at the feeling she was having. Then Lamla came down into the water. Lamla is real tall, just like his brothers Luvuyo and Yonela. He didn't bend his knees when I put him under, but all in all it worked out just fine. I kind of had to shove him under the water. Afterwords he told me he felt "so happy and soft inside." Probably was the most descriptive thing I had ever heard him say, so I was on cloud nine. I really hope that Lamla goes on a mission. 
This week is transfer week! So I will be getting a new companion and FINALLY will be moving to a new area! I have LOVED Mdantsane and loved the people here. The work has been very successful and I have lots of wonderful memories, but it's time to blow this popsicle stand and experience something new. I find out my transfer news sometime tonight. According the the AP's I will be happy with my new companion. And President said, "Elder Thayne, it's time for you to have a rest." So I think that is a good thing... but all the signs are pointing to me having a great transfer ahead of me, but honestly I plan on having a great transfer every transfer.
I'll let you all know where I am next week! Pity I didn't hear my news just a few hours early, then I could tell you what is going on.
Something I have found is that the Lord truly doesn't give us what we have in mind, but he does give us what we need. I learned that lessons while I was having to wait to come on my mission and it is something that I am continuing to learn as I am out here serving. God ultimately knows what is best for us and what we need to have to grow. How blessed our we?
This is a quote that my friend Elder Lewis sent out last week in his email. It really is so true.
"Sometimes we may ask God for success, and he gives us physical and mental stamina. We might plead for prosperity, and we receive enlarged perspective and increased patience. Or we petition for growth and are blessed with the gift of grace... and when we plead for relief from physical, mental, and spiritual difficulties, he may increase our resolve and resilience." - Elder Bednar
I love you guys so much. The Lord is mindful of us and what we need to experience to become who He needs us to be. Now, shall we not go on in so great a cause?
- Elder Thayne
PS. Sorry about the lack of pictures, I'll get some from Elder Mchunu and send them out next week.
How is everyone!? Thank you for all the love and emails I received this week, it really means a lot! I love hearing from all of you and seeing how life is back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment