Monday, March 24, 2014

Another day another... Rand.‏

This week has been quite wonderful. We are preparing Qhamani, Ayanda, Athule and Sibulele to be baptized on the 29th of March. So this weekend! They are all so ready and so willing to make and keep the covenants (promises) that they will make at baptism. The final question in the baptismal interview is: "When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep his commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?"
When preparing these four my companion and I spoke to them about how it truly is a serious thing. At the last day, they will be held accountable for what they know and what they did. Baptism is a promise, and if they want the blessings and promises that The Lord makes, then they need to live a righteous life and live up to their promises to him as well. I think I will just give some highlights about this past week:
The Good: -We found three new investigators this week. Lindiwe, Nomvuyo and Siabulela (Derrick). Derrick showed up at church yesterday in a suit looking all classy and everything. So I assumed he was a less active member or something who just came to church again. As I started speaking to him though I realized I was a bit off base with that idea. He told me that he had just gotten out of prison that Saturday. He had been in prison for the past nine years.  And he said that he wants to make changes in his life and when he came here he felt at home so he is here to stay.... Wow. We are visiting him to teach him this week. Awesome right?-We prepared Qhamani, Ayanda, Athule and Sibulele for baptism. They all passed their interviews and are being baptized this weekend! I am baptizing Qhamani and Ayanda! I am super excited for that! They are both incredibly faithful and excited for baptism. Every time we mention "march 29th" or "baptism" they get THE biggest smiles on their faces. It's the sweetest thing to behold. -Our district will have baptized 13 people just in march. "The field is white, already to harvest..." -My companion and I went and chilled with Elder Taylor, our three week old Zone Leader. Literally one of the coolest and best missionaries I have met on mission. Aside from my comp.
The Bad:-We weren't able to get Mama Somerset to church this week. We felt pretty bad about it. -I was sick on Friday and couldn't play soccer. -That's about it. 
The Funny:-We met probably the most high person I have ever met. We were trying to set a time we could visit with him and his brother. The kid couldn't even say what his name was and couldn't write down his info. He was baked, and saying the most random stuff. We couldn't stop laughing about it afterwords. -I was given a free ice cream cone for "saving souls all day erryday."-My companion and I can play off of each other in the most brilliant way. It's just funny, okay?
The Spiritual:-Every single day.-My nightly prayers. Definitely heartfelt as I think about my friends and family back home as well as the amazing people I have met here.-Our lesson with Mandla Mhini. We taught about the tree of life in Lehi's vision. 1 nephi 8 is really a powerful chapter that we all can apply to our lives and learn from.
Basically, I am one happy missionary. Life in South Africa is different, but it is super fulfilling. I love it.
CTR. Keep the faith. Endure well.
Love,Elder Thayne

No comments:

Post a Comment